Episode 17: Don’t Alienate Your Base
- Going in a different direction? It happens
- Be careful – consider the people who got you where you are
- Will they come with you?
- Is changing everything at once getting you towards that goal
The Bad – Brandless
- Built Brand on $3 kitchen & food items
- Had a huge range of Gluten-Free
- Got rid of ALL food and added bougie CBD and Wellness stuff
- Jacked up pricing
- Pissed everyone off
The Good – The Ordinary
- Stick to what they’re known for
- Stay true to messaging and pricing
What Brandless SHOULD have done:
- Created a customer ambassador board
- Asked your loyalists before you make sweeping changes
- Phased-in big changes and prepped your base for it weeks/months ahead of time.
- Considered a branch of brandless that is for Luxe items and keep the food as a loss leader. All stores have loss leaders – online is no different.
- Hired a consultant – they’re in a hot mess of being tone-deaf and posting canned responses – stop doing that.